Motion Sensor Lights: The Ultimate Guide
Installing outdoor motion sensor lights is a great way to deter burglars and increase the safety of your home.
Not only will the lights make it more difficult for criminals to break in, but they will also give you a heads-up when someone is on your property.
Motion sensor lights are relatively inexpensive and easy to install, making them a great option for home security.
In this quick guide, our lighting expert, Mark Jones, will answer the most commonly asked questions about motion sensor lights. So, let's get started!
What are motion sensor lights?
Motion sensor lights are a type of light fixture that is designed to turn on automatically when they detect movement within their range and then turn off after a period of time. Motion sensor lights can be used as a security measure, to help conserve energy, or simply for convenience.
Motion-activated lights can be used for both residential and commercial purposes. There are many different types of motion sensor lights available on the market, so it is important to choose one that best suits your needs.
Our lighting specialist, Mark Jones, recommends wall and security lights. He says: "outdoor wall lights and security lights will typically have a longer range and more powerful bulbs, while energy-saving solar light models may have shorter ranges and dimmer bulbs".
He then adds: "you should also consider the size of the area you need to cover, as well as the amount of light you want the fixture to emit when browsing for sensor lights".
What are the benefits of motion sensor lights?
Motion-activated outdoor lights are one of the most popular home security devices on the market because of their multiple advantages.
Motion sensor lights are easy to install, require low maintenance, and provide a deterrent to burglars. In addition, they can save you money on your electricity bill.
Here is a full list of the benefits of motion sensor lights:
- Motion sensor lights act as a deterrent to burglars.
- They also increase the safety of your outdoor space and help guests see where they're going at night.
- Motion-activated lights help you save money on your electricity bill.
- Motion sensor lights are easy to install.
- These lights are durable and require very little maintenance.
So, how do motion-activated lights work?
Most people are familiar with standard outdoor lights, also known as garden lights, which are turned on manually or with a timer.
While this type of lighting is adequate for some purposes, it can be impractical and expensive to keep on all night long. Fortunately, motion sensor lights are a great alternative.
So, how do motion-activated lights work?
Motion sensor lights are activated by movement, so they only turn on when someone or something is moving in their field of view.
This makes them ideal for security purposes, as they can deter burglars and other intruders. They can also be useful for lighting up a dark driveway or walkway.
What are the 2 different types of motion sensor lights?
There are two main types of motion sensor lights: passive infrared (PIR) and microwave radar.
PIR sensors detect infrared radiation, which is emitted by all warm objects (including human bodies). Microwave radar sensors detect microwave radiation, which is emitted by all warm objects and some cool objects as well.
What are some of the characteristics of these lights?
- Passive infrared (PIR) motion sensor lights are the most common type of motion sensor light. These lights detect motion in a particular area and only turn on when they sense infrared activity. Infrared radiation is emitted by warm bodies like humans and animals. This prevents the lights from turning on unnecessarily and wasting energy.
- Microwave radar motion sensor lights are a type of light fixture that uses microwave technology to detect movement. Microwave sensor lights are far less reliant on having a direct line of sight, which makes them better for large or unsymmetrical spaces. That's why they're commonly used in large security systems.
What's the difference between microwave radar and PIR sensors?
The main difference between microwave and PIR sensors is that PIR detects infrared radiation whereas microwave radar detects microwave activity, which doesn't rely on a direct line of sight.
This means that PIR motion sensors are better for small and regular spaces, while microwave motion lights are more appropriate for larger and unsymmetrical spaces.
Which is better: dusk to dawn or the motion sensor?
There are two main types of time-activated outdoor lights: dusk-to-dawn lights and motion-sensor lights. So, which is better?
Dusk-to-dawn lights are great for security because they turn on automatically at night and stay on all night long. Motion sensor lights are also great for security, but they have the added benefit of only turning on when someone or something is moving. This can save you money on your electricity utility bill.
So, which is better dusk to dawn or the motion sensor?
It depends on your needs. If you want your outdoor light to be on all night long, regardless of whether there’s anyone around, then go with a dusk-to-dawn light. But if you want your light to only turn on when someone or something is moving, then go with a motion sensor light.
Our outdoor lighting specialist, Mark Jones, recommends motion sensor lighting for security because of the surprise effect. He says:
"Whether you're trying to deter burglars or raccoons, motion sensor lights add a surprise element which will scare intruders away."
"Nevertheless, if your goal is to illuminate your yard for decoration purposes, like festive lighting, dusk to dawn sensors will be more appropriate as these lights will stay on all night long".
"You do need to be aware though that dusk to dawn sensor lights will spend more energy, which will weigh on your utility bills unless you opt for solar-powered lights, which could be a great alternative".
So, are motion sensor lights worth it?
Installing a motion sensor light is a great method to increase the security and safety of your outdoor space - and it can also help you save on your energy bill. But are motion sensor lights worth it?
You should decide for yourself! Here’s a quick rundown of the pros and cons of motion sensor lights:
- Motion sensor lights can deter burglars, as they will think twice before attempting to break into a home that is well-lit.
- You can save on your energy bill, as motion sensor lights will only turn on when they detect movement.
- Motion sensor lights can also be used to light up dark areas around your home, such as your driveway or backyard.
- Motion sensor lights can be triggered by animals or passing cars, which can be annoying if you live in a busy area.
- Motion-activated lights are more expensive than traditional alternatives.
In conclusion, motion sensor lights are an efficient way to deter burglars and increase your home’s security.
They can also be used to light up dark areas of your home or to add a bit of ambiance to your outdoor space.
Don't forget to do your research before purchasing a motion sensor light, as there are many different types and features to choose from. With the right motion sensor light, you can enjoy increased security and peace of mind in your home.
If you need help with choosing the right motion-activated outdoor lights for your yard, you can contact one of our lighting specialists free of charge here, or read more expert articles like this one on our Outdoor Lighting Blog.